Spanish website Sport is reporting that want away Philippe Coutinho could refuse to play for Liverpool in the Champions League.
The Spanish publication is claiming that Coutinho, who is still keen on a move to Barcelona, could refuse to play for Liverpool in the Champions League in the hope that he will be able to line out for the Catalan side should a move go ahead in January.
It’s claimed that Coutinho will take this radical step as he has not given up hope of securing his dream move.
Coutinho has however been included in Jurgen Klopp’s Champions League squad which was announced in recent days.
According to Sport, Coutinho is very upset and is showing his frustration at not being allowed to move. The Brazilian has done everything he could to try to force a move but Liverpool held their position to ensure that Coutinho remained a Liverpool player when the window closed in Spain last Friday.
Coutinho is due to return to Liverpool immediately after their World Cup qualifier away to Colombia. It’s understood that he will board a specially chartered flight, along with fellow Premier League players to return to the UK.
It remains to be seen how this situation will pan out but one thing is for sure. He has not endeared himself to the Liverpool faithful with his behaviour. Liverpool fans would not entertain the prospect of his departure at the start of the window but that sentiment has now changed with many saying Liverpool should have taken Barcelona’s last offer and cashed in on the Brazilian.
Spanish newspapers have played a big part in trying to unsettle the player over the summer and it looks like that trend is set to continue throughout the of the season.
Brazil legend, Pele says Philippe Coutinho does not need to leave Liverpool in order to win the Balon d’Or.
Speaking to Marca, 76 year old Pele was asked about Neymar’s ability to win the Balon d’Or now that he has moved to PSG. He said “Of course he can. Neymar has a football at his feet which is all he needs.”
He then continued by saying, “Coutinho is a player I think we should all look at too because he is excellent for his team. No doubts at the moment though that Neymar is the one.”
“You don’t necessarily have to change teams all the time to prove you are good. It all depends on taking your opportunities.”
This will be music to some Liverpool fans ears after the multiple unsuccessful bids from Barcelona over the summer which unsettled the Brazilian majician enough for him to submit a transfer request.
Coutinho returns to Liverpool this week after making an appearance as a substitute in Brazil’s World Cup qualifier against Ecuador where he got on the score sheet as Brazil ran out 2 – 0 winners.
Liverpool are reported to have made a club record bid of £60m rising to over £70m including add ons for Monaco’s winger, Thomas Lemar.
The 21 year old French international who is said to be in favour of the move to Anfield can play on either wing as well as in the attacking midfielder role and is adept with both feet.
James Pearce from the Liverpool Echo claims that the deal is not linked to the departure of Philippe Coutinho and that he will be staying put regardless of what players are brought in.
Lemar was been neavily linked with a move to Arsenal over the summer but Monaco have rejected any offers for the dynamic midfielder.
Lemar is currenlty on duty with the French national team and this is likely to be a stumbling block for any move as Didier Deschamps has said any player looking to move should have the deal done before joining up with the national team.
The 21 year old has provided 2 assists in 4 league games for Monaco so far this season following on from last season where he scored 14 goals and 17 assists in 55 appearances in all competitions
Spanish football journalist Guillem Balague has told Sky Sports that he believes Barcelona are preparing a final bid for want away Philippe Coutinho before the transfer window closes this Thursday.
He also states that Liverpool’s position on the sale of the Brazilian remains unchanged and the player is not for sale. The Catalans don’t believe they will secure the signature of Coutinho but feel they must show loyalty to their target by submitting a final bid.
Balague claims Barcelona are already looking at alternatives for Coutinho with Naby Keita of RB Leipzig reported to be their next choice.
Liverpool spent the majority of the summer transfer window pursuing the talented Guinean-an without success.
Liverpool lost 3 – 1 to relegation strugglers Leicester City at the King Power Stadium in what can only be described as a lack lustre performance from Jurgen Klopp’s men.
Liverpool, who haven’t played a competitive game since beating fellow top four challengers, Tottenham Hotspur 2 – 0 at Anfield sixteen days previous were favourites to come away from managerless Leicester with 3 points.
Leicester put the Liverpool defence under pressure right from the kick off as they looked to play us at our own game by pressing high up the field and the tactic looked to be working as Liverpool failed to maintain any sort of possession in the opening ten minutes.
Mignolet was called upon twice in the first six minutes to make saves from Robert Huth and Jamie Vardy who look nailed on to score from close range but scuffed his shot.
It took 10 minutes for Liverpool to register a shot as Joel Matip narrowly missed out on getting on the end of Sadio Mane’s low cross into the six yard box.
Leicester created more chances in the following minutes calling for Mignolet to to be alert to keep Liverpool in the game.
Leicester took the lead on 27 minutes as sloppy passing from Liverpool allowed Mark Albrighton to play a first time ball through to Jamie Vardy to put him one on one with Simon Mignolet. Vardy coolly drove the ball under Mignolet and in to the net to give Leicester a deserved lead.
The goal looked to have spurred the reds on and they threatened briefly after conceding but it took just nine minutes for Leicester to double their advantage after Danny Drinkwater pounced on a poor clearance to fire home a long range effort from all of 25 yards on 38 minutes.
Liverpool looked to claw one back before half time and came closest through an Emre Can effort from 20 yards out which Kasper Schmeichel dealt with.
The second half saw a change to Liverpool’s formation as we switched to three at the back with Emre Can drop into the left side of defence as Milner and Clyne operated as wing backs and we looked more dangerous going forward in the opening ten minutes of the half.
Coutinho forced a save from Schmeichel in the 54th minute and Mane sprinted into the area in the 56th minute only to have his shot blocked by Robert Huth.
Leicester made it 3 – 0 in the 59th minute as Jamie Vardy beat Emre Can to get on the end of Fuchs’ cross to head past Mignolet from six yards.
Liverpool created two chances in the following five minutes to allow shots from Matip who fired into the side netting and Lallana who forced a save from Schmeichel.
Sadio Mane and Adam Lallana were replaced by Divock Origi and Alberto Moreno in the 65 minute and 2 minutes later, Philippe Coutinho was put through by Emre Can to score from 15 yards.
Ben Woodburn replaced Lucas Leiva in the 83rd minute but the reds failed to add the Philippe Coutinho’s goal and Leicester took all three points for their first victory of 2017.
Jurgen Klopp’s men looked a shadow of the team who beat Spurs 2 weeks ago and put in a very half hearted performance to come away with nothing from a bottom half of the table side for the fifth time this season.
Liverpool failed to adapt to a counter attacking Leicester side who used similar tactics against us last season when they won the Premier League.
Speaking after the match, Klopp said, “It’s getting more serious now. We all play for our future, myself included. We get judged every day, especially on match days.
“Of course, performances have influences on things.”
“I don’t think they aren’t as good as I thought,” said Klopp. “But I think they need my help more to show it every week.”
“I feel maximum responsibility because I am. I hope I use the word ‘we’ and not ‘they’ because I’m involved in this.”
“It doesn’t get better. It was not good enough in the beginning, not good enough in the middle and in the end. It was 100 per cent clear what happened with Leicester tonight. Back to their roots, their line-up was clear.”
“It was clear how emotional the game was because if Leicester didn’t show emotion it would be really strange. It wasn’t that intense but we weren’t ready for this.”
“15 or 16 days to prepare is not perfect, because of the rhythm. But for defending you don’t need rhythm, you need organisation.”
“Maybe it looked like at the end that a few players struggled with rhythm, but I don’t want to use that as an excuse or an explanation,” said Klopp.
According to Chris Bascombe of The Telegraph, Adam Lallana is about to commit his long term future to Liverpool by signing a new four year contract said to be worth £150,000 a week.
The 28 year old England International who moved to Liverpool from Southampton in 2014 for a fee of £25m is a key player in Jurgen Klopps plans and his representative are in talks with Liverpool about his future with talks said to be at an advanced stage.
The deal will see Lallana extend his stay at Anfield until June 2021 by which time he will be 32 years of age.
Lallana has thrived under the guidance of Jurgen Klopp and the German is said to have wanted to secure his key players services for the long term.
The new deal for Lallana follows hot on the heals of deals for Phillipe Coutinho who signed a new 5 year contract in January and Joe Gomez who signed for a similar term.
Jamie Carragher has spoken out about Liverpool’s failure to expand the squad in the January transfer window, a period that saw Liverpool crash out of both the EFL Cup and FA Cup as well as losing to relagation battles Swansea & Hull.
Carragher believes that Liverpool lack the quality on the bench that teams around them in the race to the top four have.
Speaking on Sky Sports, Carragher said, “Liverpool don’t have the squad to match the other teams and are in a major fight for the top four. For how great everything was going a few months ago, it shows how quickly everything can just unravel.”
“A major disappointment, whether it was down to the manager or the board, was not getting any reinforcements in in January. The players are there. I am not saying panic buy.”
“At this moment, there are lots of problems, defensively and in attack, but I am talking about in terms of numbers, Liverpool needed something.”
“If you look at Liverpool’s bench, they haven’t got anything like what Manchester United have got, City have got – these are the teams they are trying to compete with.”
“The fact that they haven’t reinforced from a position of strength – where they were in the league as the best challengers for Chelsea – has meant they have fallen away.”
“Certain players have been superb all season. You can’t expect the likes of Adam Lallana, Roberto Firmino and Philippe Coutinho to keep up their levels, they need to come out of the team, not dropped, but just taken out for a couple of weeks to freshen them up, but there isn’t the players on the bench to do that.”
“Other sides have got that quality in reserve that Liverpool haven’t.”
Philippe Coutinho look set to miss the next six weeks as it was confirmed this afternoon that the Brazilian sustained ankle ligament damage during Liverpool’s weekend fixture against Sunderland.
The 24 year old sustained the injury during a tussle with Sunderland midfielder, Didier N’Dong which resulted in the Liverpool dynamo being stretchered off in the 34 minute.
Coutinho underwent a scan on his ankle this afternoon at Spire Hospital in Mossley Hill.
He will now miss the busiest part of the season as the reds face a congested schedule of fixture over the Christmas period.
It looks likely that he will return early in the new year meaning that he could potentially miss up to seven Premier League games including the trip to Goodison Park to take on Everton and a home fixture against fellow title challengers, Manchester City on New Year’s Eve.
The lay off could also include the FA Cup third round fixture which is scheduled to take place in early January.
Coutinho however hopes to be back sooner than that as he has set his sights on the game against Manchester City on December 31st.
Jurgen Klopp hosted his pre match press conference ahead of tomorrow night’s EFL Cup clash with Leeds United at Anfield.
The session was dominated by questions about injuries to Philippe Coutinho, Roberto Firmino, Daniel Sturridge and Adam Lallana and it looks likely that none of them will be available for tomorrow night’s EFL Cup fixture.
The only certainty in tomorrow night’s line up is that Simon Mignolet will start the match. Klopp said, “If nothing happens, Simon will play. 100 per cent.”
Philippe Coutinho will undergo a scan this afternoon on a suspected ankle ligament injury while Adam Lallana is ruled out because of a groin injury sustained on international duty. Roberto Firmino has a calf injury while Daniel Sturridge is also nursing the same injury.
When asked is he would make eleven changes, Klopp said, “I think last time in the press conference it was not the idea to make 11 changes, it happened after the press conference, sorry”
“I have no idea at this moment because we need to have a look at the boys and how they feel and I have to talk to them.”
“Everyone can say this year we don’t have intensity of international [European] football and all that stuff, but when you are in the rhythm it’s different and we are not in this rhythm.”
“We need to listen to the players and to figure out if they are ready or not. It’s not about attitude, we cannot take any risks, it’s really only about having the line-up which can stand the intensity of the game because Leeds is in a really good moment – they’re a football playing side and they will force us into a lot of things, so we need to work in this game, there’s no alternative.”
“So the players need to be fit and that’s what we have to decide from now on. The line-up, I don’t have to make it until 5 o’clock tomorrow.”
Klopp was also asked about the possibility of some of the u23 squad getting some game time with the senior squad and said, “We will see, we have a U23 squad of course, but it’s fluent. The plan is – and this is not too surprising – is to find a line-up which can win the game tomorrow, that’s what we have to do, so we don’t want to rest someone who doesn’t need a rest.”
“It’s possible to make a few changes, but it’s possible that we’ll play exactly the same team – both is possible in this moment.”
“I need a few more hours to know about, when we have all the answers to my questions then I’ll make the line-up. That’s how it usually works and in this case it’s no different.”
It is feared that Philippe Coutinho suffered ankle ligament damage during yesterdays game against Sunderland at Anfield which led to the Brazilian wizard being stretchered off.
The tricky Brazilian had been ably shadowed by Sunderland’s Jason Denayer who limited his creativity for the first half an hour of the match. The first opportunity that Coutinho had to shake him off led to the incident which resulted in the injury.
Coutinho was replaced by Divock Origi on 34 minutes after clashing with Sunderland defender, Didier Ndong in Sunderland’s box. The Brazilian was stretchered off and was seen to be visibly upset as he was brought down the tunnel. He was later seen leaving Anfield on crutches.
Klopp played down the injury during his after match press conference saying that Phil had said that he was in a lot less pain at half time. He said, “He had pain, but pain gets better. In the first moment, it was obviously very painful but when I saw him at half-time, he said the pain was much better. We have to wait.”
Coutinho arrived to Liverpool’s Melwood training ground on Sunday wearing the same protective boot that he left Anfield in yesterday and was assessed by the medical staff ahead of a scan which is scheduled for tomorrow.
It is understood that he has sustained ankle ligament damage which is likely to keep him out of action for four weeks but pending the results of the scan, this is yet to be confirmed.
The outlook for Firmino however is more positive as the medical staff deemed a scan unnecessary but he will likely be rested for Tuesday evening’s game against Leeds in the EFL Cup.
Firmino limped off in the 87th minute after a heavy challenge and was replaced by Lucas Leiva.
Should Coutinho miss the next four weeks, he will miss Premier League games against Bournemouth, West Ham, Middlesbrough and Everton.